top of page
Smoke effect pattern


Since we opened our doors back in 1957, we have been asked countless questions about our range of oil tanks, water tanks and other installation services. Whether you're a commercial client or a domestic customer, we always to our best to assist. Take a look at our most commonly asked questions below, and feel free to speak to our team today for a competitive quotation. We carry out tank replacements and new installations throughout the North West of England.


  • Does my tank need to be bunded?
    An Oftec T/133 risk assessment will determine what type of tank can be installed to meet current regulations. To err on the side of caution, we would always recommend a bunded tank. Unsure what you need? Give us a call! We'll advise over the phone, or you can send pictures into us via WhatsApp (01772 338892). If you're in the North West, we'll even pop round to have a look ourselves. This will enable us to provide you with a free no-obligation quotation!
  • Do all oil tanks have a 10-year manufacturer's warranty?
    In most cases for bunded tanks, yes. We would always advise that you confirm this prior to purchase. All single skin tanks now only carry a 2-year warranty.
  • What is OFTEC?
    OFTEC are the governing body for oil, much like how Corgi/Gas Safe are for gas.
  • Can I install the tank myself?
    Yes, but it must be done to the current building regulations, and you need to get your local building control department in to sign it off. An Oftec-approved installer can sign their own installations off and report it online to Oftec.
  • Do I need planning permission?
    All new or replacement oil tank installations are to be authorised by building control, so no planning permission is not required, unless the tank is to be situated in front of your house and then this comes under the Town & Country planning act and planning permission is required. J Seed & Co will notify building control on completion of any works that we undertake on our customers behalf. The customer will then receive certification as proof that the works meet the current regulations.
  • What is a bunded tank?
    Basically a tank within a tank, so if the inner tank fails, the oil is contained in the outer tank.
  • What is a single-skin tank?
    A single skin tank is a plastic or steel container.
  • Under what circumstance do I need a bunded tank?
    A bunded tank is required in the following instances: -When you need a tank capacity in excess of 2500 litres -Wheny you need a tank within 10 metres of controlled water (e.g. drainage ditches and septic tanks) -If the tank will be located where spillage could run into an open drain or to a loose fitting manhole cover -Installations within 50 metres of a borehole or spring -Installations over hard ground or hard ground that could enable spillage run-off to reach controlled water? -If the position would mean the vent pipe outlet is not visible from the fill point -The tank would supplyi heating oil to a building other than a single family dwelling? -If the tank is located within an England and Wales Source Protection Zone 1 (check your postcode in at The Environment Agency and then select the groundwater from the other topics from this area? -If there are any other potential hazards unique to the site Also be aware that all single skin plastic tanks now only carry a 2-year warranty as standard and most bunded plastic tanks still have a 10 year warranty so this is worth taking into consideration even if you answer no to all of the above questions. The fire protection of tank must also be considered and fire protection may be required if your tank is:- Located within 1.8 meters of a non-fire rated building or structure (less than 30 mins) this includes sheds, garages and outhouses? Located within 760mm of a non-fire rated boundary (less than 30 mins)? Located within 1.8 meters of non-fire rated eaves (less than 30 mins)? Located within 1.8 meters of any opening on a fire rated building (e.g. window or door)? Located within 1.8 metres of a boiler flue terminatiom? Your oil tank MUST also be on a fire proof base which extends 300mm around all the sides of the tank, unless it is against a fire rated structure or wall. If this is not possible fire protection is required. This is intended for information purposes only and may be subject to change. Full guidance should be sought from a competent person or your local building control department.
  • What materials are used in plastic tanks?
    Medium density polyethylene (MDPE) which is rotationally moulded.
  • How close to a boundary can I place an oil tank?
    760mm away or less if you put fire protection in between the tank and boundary. Tanks should be 300mm away from walls to allow for inspection all around. Alternatively, we offer a unique triple skinned fire protected tank. These tanks can be installed and signed off by an APHC Engineer, or signed off via your local building authority. Give us a call to discuss and we'll advise you the process.
  • What are the requirements for a plastic oil tank's base?
    The base should extend 300mm extra around, this is for fire protection incase there is ever a grass fire for instance.
  • Can I fit a sight gauge to a bunded tank?
    No, all gauges must be within the bunded area and a sight gauge up the front of a tank is outside of the bund. To mitigate this, we offer a range of electronic and manual gauges which sit on top of your tank- fully compliant and easy to read your contents level!
  • How close can I place a tank to a flue outlet?


Our friendly, Preston-based team will be happy to help. If you can't see an answer to your question on this page, feel free to contact us today on:

bottom of page